What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by

Searching...

relief

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    EA1799

  • Description

    Two pieces of limestone relief; geometric design; slightly convex face.

  • Culture/period

  • Findspot

  • Materials

  • Dimensions

    • Length: 63 centimetres (larger)
    • Length: 18 centimetres (smaller)
  • Condition

    fair - broken in two - 2 (25)

  • Conservation

    See treatments 

    Treatment date

    5 November 2013

    Treatment proposal

    Potentially reattach two parts. Light clean, improve and secure old fill/break edges. There are pigment remains, red/orange/ green pigments.

    Condition

    The object is at present broken into two sections. The proper right section (1/5 of the total length of object) is the smaller of the two and is significantley lighter in weight. Therefore when it is reattached (agreed by curator) there will be no need to drill dowel holes in each break edge in order to dowel the object.

    Treatment details

    The two sections of the object were reattached using HMG Paraloid B72 (methyl ethyl methacrlylate) and supported on the underside with selcon (breeze block) fragments, then an applied base pad of Polyfilla interior (calcium sulphate hydrate,cellulose ether) was placed and carved back when dried which provides the extra structual. The fill was retouch painted using acrylic paints.

    The surface of the stone was cleaned using Wishab sponge (vulcanized latex,filler) to remove any loose particles of dirt. The areas of previous plaster surface fills had weakened over time and looked unsightly. The old fills were removed mechanically and replaced using Polyfilla interior filler. The areas were retouched using acrylic paints.

    About these records 

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1919

  • Acquisition notes

    Excavated 1913-1914 by Reginald Campbell Thompson on behalf of the Byzantine Research Fund.

  • Department

    Ancient Egypt & Sudan

  • BM/Big number

    EA1799

  • Registration number

    1919,0505.83


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: YCA55768

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...