papyrus / document
Papyrus: on the verso, the left-hand side of the first 8 lines of this Coptic text are preserved. The other side of the papyrus is blank. Tithe collection contract.
- Height: 9.5 centimetres
- Width: 13.5 centimetres
Inscription Translation(1) + I, Ammoui, and Pamoun [the monks of the 'Topos' of Apa Apollo ... we are writing to NN]
(2) the monk of this 'topos'. Whereas [... have agreed with ... to give ... so that you collect its ti-]
(3) the and pay its pactum wh[ich is ...]
(4) ... and the farmers of Anoua[(-?) ... in the har-]
(5) vest of (the) tenth indiction-year and you (?) [...]
(6) by day ... (of) Mesore ... [ ...
Inscription CommentNoteworthy in this text are the name Ammoui (l. 1) and the 'farmers of Anoua[-]' (l. 4).
Mounted with 1996,0608.21-25Palaeography: A large majuscule hand, resembling 11, with letters irregularly positioned on the papyrus.
Provenance: The acquisition details for this text suggest that its place of origin may have been the Hermopolite monastery of Apa Apollo.
fair (incomplete - fragmentary)
- Named in inscription: Monastery of Apa Apollo
- (Africa,Egypt,Western Desert,El-Bawiti,Monastery of Apa Apollo)
Ancient Egypt & Sudan
- P.Mon.Apollo 13
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: YCA72137
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.