Discover inspiring and exciting objects from ancient Egypt and Benin as well as more modern material from all over Africa and contemporary African art.
Africa: art and
The art of
The Wealth of
Age 7–11, 12–16, 16+
Throne of Weapons and
Tree of Life
Understanding masks from
Students examine pictures of the Oba, his staff and the first European visitors.
Students explore clothes, jewellery and personal appearance in a selection of African countries.
R & KS1
This session uses storytelling and object handling to explore African stories.
N,R & KS1
Young students identify African animals from models, whiteboard images and video.
Students explore rhythms from different regions of Africa and create their own music.
R & KS1
Use the Museum's African galleries to explore shape, pattern, colour and counting.
Teachers receive a 10% discount*. Quote teacher1112 in Museum shops or at the checkout online.
- Nicholas Badcott, Pocket Explorer: African Civilizations
- Nigel Barley, The Art of Benin
- Lynne Garner, African Crafts
- Rebecca Jewell, African Designs
- John Mack (ed), Africa: Arts and Cultures
- Chris Spring, African Art in Detail
- Chris Spring and Julie Hudson, Silk in Africa
*Discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers.