Discover inspiring and exciting objects from ancient Egypt and Benin as well as more modern material from all over Africa and contemporary African art.
Africa: art and
The art of
The Wealth of
Age 7–11, 12–16, 16+
Throne of Weapons and
Tree of Life
Understanding masks from
Students identify the different people connected with the Oba's palace in Benin.
Starting with Anglo-Saxon England, students learn about the world in AD 900 before focusing on Mayan, Benin or Islamic culture and society.
R & KS1
This session uses storytelling and object handling to explore African stories.
N,R & KS1
Young students identify African animals and use digital tablets to create masks.
Students explore music and celebrations from different regions of Africa and create their own music.
R & KS1
Use the Museum's African galleries to explore shape, pattern, colour and counting.
Teachers receive a 10% discount*. Quote teacher1112 in Museum shops or at the checkout online.
- Nicholas Badcott, Pocket Explorer: African Civilizations
- Nigel Barley, The Art of Benin
- Lynne Garner, African Crafts
- Rebecca Jewell, African Designs
- John Mack (ed), Africa: Arts and Cultures
- Chris Spring, African Art in Detail
- Chris Spring and Julie Hudson, Silk in Africa
*Discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers.