Statue of a pair of dogs
Height: 67.000 cm
GR 1805.7-3.8 (Sculpture 2131)
The ancient Romans used to keep dogs for hunting and herding cows or sheep, as well as for pets. This sculpture of a male and female dog was carved around 2000 years ago. They were found about 250 years ago at a place called Dog Mountain outside Rome along with other sculptures of dogs. The dogs seem to be good friends - one is nibbling the ear of the other.
The other picture is a pottery dog from Mexico from around the same time.