Height: 48.000 cm
Gift of Octavius Morgan, MP
Room 38-39: Clocks and Watches
Table clock by Lucas Weydmann
Cracow, Poland, AD 1648
Can be set to show Bohemian hours
By the mid-seventeenth century the art of making finely decorated clocks had spread east from the South German centres of Augsburg, Nuremberg and Munich to Poland. One particularly popular style of clock was the tabernacle clock similar to this example.
The case of this
magnificent clock is finely engraved with scenes of Adam and Eve in
the Garden of Eden. The main dial on the front has a single steel
hand to show the time. Within the silvered chapter ring is a
rotating dial indicating the age and phase of the moon. A disc
behind is for setting an alarm. In the very centre is a simple
unusually, the two side doors are inset with engraved glass panels.
The engraving on the glass combines two subjects taken from J.
Tipotius's Symbola Divina et
Humana, first published in Prague in 1601.
Within the case is a two stage movement. The upper stage, on the
right, has undergone considerable alteration but originally had a
Repair marks on the inside provide evidence that the clock was in France between 1686 and 1836. It may have originally have belonged to king Jan Kazimierz, who was crowned king of Poland in 1648 following the death of his brother.
H. Tait, Clocks and watches (London, The British Museum Press, 1983)