Height: 29.000 cm
Width: 22.500 cm
Depth: 22.500 cm
Bequeathed by Octavius Morgan, MP
Room 38-39: Clocks and Watches
Square table clock with detachable alarm
From South Germany, around AD 1580
An 'Orpheus clock'
During the second half of the sixteenth century clocks became increasingly elaborate and lavishly decorated, particularly in Augsburg, South Germany. Here, clockmakers found a ready market in the courts of the Holy Roman Empire and in exports to the Ottoman Empire of Süleyman the Magnificent (reigned 1520-66).
horizontal table clock is one of an identifiable group with
The dial shows the hours in the six, twelve and twenty-four hour systems and has touch-pins for use in the dark. The central disc and the hands are later replacements and the central area possibly contained lunar or perhaps sunrise/sunset indications.
has steel plates and steel wheels but over the back plate is an
extra brass plate profusely engraved with foliate scrolls. The
clock has a
P.G. Coole and E. Neumann, The Orpheus Clocks (London, Hutchinson Educational Ltd., 1972)
K. Maurice, Die Deutsche Räderuhr (Munich, C.H. Beck, 1976)
F.J. Britten, Old clocks and watches and the, 9th edition (London, Sotheby, 1984)
E. von Bassermann-Jordan, Ein Handbuch fur Sammler und L (Braunschweig, Klinkhardt-Biermann, 1960)
H. Tait, Clocks and watches (London, The British Museum Press, 1983)