Diameter: 4.000 cm
Gift of J.R. Mortimer, Esq.
Prehistory and Europe
Gold disc pendant
Anglo-Saxon, early 7th century
From Acklam Wold, near Acklam, North Yorkshire, England
Decorated with filigree and garnet inlay
This is one of the largest and finest of many surviving Anglo-Saxon disc pendants. It was found by chance in the late nineteenth century in a chalk pit near some prehistoric barrows. Disc pendants have been found across Anglo-Saxon England and reflect the increasing uniformity of fashion across the developing Anglo-Saxon kingdoms. They were often decorated with cross motifs, suggesting a growing awareness of Christianity among the general population in the seventh century.
demonstrates a range of jewellery techniques. In the centre a shell
boss in a dog-tooth
R.A. Smith, A guide to the Anglo-Saxon and (London, British Museum, 1923)