Length: 9.900 cm
Width: 4.700 cm
Gift of Revd Charles T.E. Whateley
Gold belt buckle
Early Anglo-Saxon, late 6th century
Mound burial, Taplow, Buckinghamshire, England
A gold and garnet cloisonné buckle
This buckle was among the very rich grave goods recovered in the late nineteenth century from a burial beneath a mound in the old churchyard at Taplow Court. Like the clasps from Taplow, also in The British Museum, it displays materials and workmanship of the highest quality.
loop of the buckle and the basal shield on the tongue are both
This is one of a series of Anglo-Saxon buckles which combine panels of interlace with tongue shields in cloisonné. It is probably the finest, and the only one of solid gold. Its value is also evident in the all-over cloisonné loop and heavy multiple strands of filigree wire. The quatrefoil or cross-shaped garnet at the end of the buckle is a rare and perhaps significant shape, as it is found primarily on very high-status objects in England and Continental Europe.
J. Stevens, 'On the remains found in an Anglo-Saxon tumulus at Taplow, Buckinghamshire', Journal of the British Archa-2, 40 (1884), pp. 61-71, plates 1, 11-12
G. Speake, Anglo-Saxon animal art and its (Oxford, Clarendon Press, 1980)
R.A. Smith, A guide to the Anglo-Saxon and (London, British Museum, 1923)