Explore highlights
The 'Queen of the Night' relief

  • A) plaque 'restored'

    A) plaque 'restored'

  • B) reconstruction of original painting

    B) reconstruction of original painting

  • C) plaque and reconstruction

    C) plaque and reconstruction

 

Height: 49.500 cm
Width: 37.000 cm
Thickness: 4.800 cm (max.)

ME 2003-7-18,1

Room 56: Mesopotamia

    The 'Queen of the Night' Relief

    Download this video to watch in your favourite media player, or to view this video online please enable javascript.

    Using this on a mobile device? Tap the image to watch.
    On desktop, requires Flash player or click image to download.


    Watch more BSL video descriptions

    The 'Queen of the Night' Relief

    Old Babylonian, 1800-1750 BC
    From southern Iraq

    A major acquisition for the British Museum's 250th anniversary

    This large plaque is made of baked straw-tempered clay, modelled in high relief. The figure of the curvaceous naked woman was originally painted red. She wears the horned headdress characteristic of a Mesopotamian deity and holds a rod and ring of justice, symbols of her divinity. Her long multi-coloured wings hang downwards, indicating that she is a goddess of the Underworld. Her legs end in the talons of a bird of prey, similar to those of the two owls that flank her. The background was originally painted black, suggesting that she was associated with the night. She stands on the backs of two lions, and a scale pattern indicates mountains.

    The figure could be an aspect of the goddess Ishtar, Mesopotamian goddess of sexual love and war, or Ishtar's sister and rival, the goddess Ereshkigal who ruled over the Underworld, or the demoness Lilitu, known in the Bible as Lilith. The plaque probably stood in a shrine.

    The same goddess appears on small, crude, mould-made plaques from Babylonia from about 1850 to 1750 BC. Thermoluminescence tests confirm that the 'Queen of the Night' relief was made between 1765 and 45 BC.

    The relief may have come to England as early as 1924, and was brought to the British Museum in 1933 for scientific testing. It has been known since its publication in 1936 in the Illustrated London News as the Burney Relief, after its owner at that time. Until 2003 it has been in private hands. The Director and Trustees of the British Museum decided to make this spectacular terracotta plaque the principal acquisition for the British Museum's 250th anniversary.

    Other Views
    A) Image of the plaque 'restored' to how it would have looked before painting
    B) Reconstruction of original painting added
    C) The plaque now compared to the reconstruction

    These images were created using Photoshop by Mark Timson of the British Museum's New Media Unit, with the guidance of Dominique Collon, curator in the Department of the Ancient Near East.

    H. W. and A. F. Janson, History of Art, 6th edition (New York, 2001)

    H. Frankfort, 'The Burney Relief', Archiv für Orientforschung (1937-39), pp. 128-35

    H. Frankfort, The art and architecture of th (London, Pelican, 1970)

    Highlights

    Browse or search over 4,000 highlights from the Museum collection

    On display: Room 56: Mesopotamia

    Shop Online

    An introductory workbook of Arabic, £6.99

    An introductory workbook of Arabic, £6.99