Votive relief from a healing sanctuary
Greek, about AD
From the island of Mílos, Aegean Sea
Thanking healing deities for the cure of a bad leg
It was common practice in antiquity to dedicate
representations of afflicted parts at a healing shrine, either as
an offering of thanks for a cure or in hope of one. The inscription
on this marble relief can be translated: 'Tyche [dedicated
this] to Asklepios and Hygieia as a thank offering'.
Hygieia was the female companion of Asklepios, the god of medicine
and son of
The relief was found in 1828 in the same sanctuary on Mílos as a colossal marble head of Asklepios himself, now also in The British Museum. A round votive altar was also found, inscribed with a dedication to Asklepios and Hygieia by a priest named Claudius Gallinus. However, the altar, along with a number of associated fragmentary statuettes of Hygieia, was not acquired when The British Museum purchased the head and this relief in 1867 from the Duc de Blacas.
B.F. Cook, Greek inscriptions (London, The British Museum Press, 1987)
Width: 8.000 inches
GR 1867.5-8.117 (Sculpture 809)