Bronze medal of Giovanni-Battista Belzoni

England, AD 1818

The 'Strong man Egyptologist'

Giovanni-Battista Belzoni was an explorer and archaeologist, born in Padua (Padova) in northern Italy. In 1803 he was working in England as a circus strong man, and exhibiting models of hydraulic engines. In 1815 he went to Cairo in Egypt to try and sell his hydraulic engines to Muhammad 'Ali Pasha, and within two years had begun a new career, excavating Egyptian tombs and temples. He worked as an agent for the British Consul, Henry Salt, and helped him form his first collection, which the British Museum purchased in 1823.

From the west bank at Thebes he obtained the colossal sculpture of the head of Ramesses II ('the Younger Memnon') for the British Museum. He also discovered the tomb of Sety I in the nearby Valley of Kings, which contained the king's magnificent alabaster sarcophagus, now in Sir John Soane's Museum, London.

Belzoni explored Elephantine and the Temple of Edfu. In 1818 he became the first person in modern times to enter the pyramid of Chefren at Giza (pictured on the reverse of this medal).

Belzoni returned to England in 1819 and published a two-volume account, Narrative of the Operations and Recent Discoveries Within the Pyramids, Temples, Tombs and Excavations, in Egypt and Nubia . . . (1820). His methods were crude by modern standards. He disregarded many items that did not interest him and must have damaged much in pursuit of his goal. However, although he has been accused of 'pillage' he was no worse than his contemporaries.

Find in the collection online

Bronze medal of Giovanni-Battista Belzoni

Medal of Belzoni

 

More information

Bibliography

C. Clair, Strong man Egyptologist: being (London, Oldbourne, 1957)

A. Siliotti (ed.), Belzonis Travels: Narrative of (London, The British Museum Press, 2001)

W.R. Dawson and E.P. Uphill, Who was who in Egyptology, 3rd rev. ed. by M.L. Bierbrier (London, Egypt Exploration Society, 1995)

S. Mayes, The great Belzoni (London, Putnam, 1959)

Dimensions

Diameter: 53.000 mm

Museum number

CM 1947,6-7.220

CME6187

Bequeathed by Doctor S Fairbairn

Location

Find in the collection online



Search highlights

There are over 4,000 highlight objects to explore