Height: 61.000 cm
Width: 45.700 cm (max.)
Purchased with the assistance of Lady Wantage
Ancient Egypt and Sudan
Limestone pyramidion of Wedjahor
Possibly from Abydos,
Early 26th Dynasty, around 650 BC
The uppermost stone on a royal pyramid in the Old Kingdom (about 2613-2160 BC) and Middle Kingdom (about 2040-1750 BC) is called a pyramidion. In the New Kingdom (about 1550-1070 BC) it became the practice for tombs to have small brick pyramids above them, on which were placed small pyramidia, relatively small pyramid-shaped pieces of stone.
After the New Kingdom the practice seems to have died out, though it did reappear briefly in the Twenty-sixth Dynasty (664-525 BC) at Abydos. The pyramidion of Wedjahor dates to this period.
Each face of the
pyramidion is decorated with a figure of the
G. Pinch, Magic in Ancient Egypt (London, The British Museum Press, 1994)
H. de Meulenaere, 'Pyramidions d'Abydos', Jaarbericht ... ex Oriente Lux, 20 (1967), pp. 13-15