How to apply
Closing date for applications:
4 February 2013
International Training Programme opportunity
We have an opportunity for a volunteer to support our International Training Programme (ITP). Every summer, the British Museum runs the ITP for museum professionals from Asia, Africa, the Middle East and Latin America, with up to 26 participants spending six weeks in the UK. The programme is designed to expose museum professionals to various aspects of museum work, develop skills, and to create a global network of colleagues around the world. This is a great opportunity to learn about how the Museum works internationally with colleagues from museums outside the UK.
This opportunity may include
- Maintaining ITP files from previous years.
- Assisting with an evaluation project, assessing the long-term impact of the ITP.
- Updating paperwork for use on the upcoming programme, including the London ‘Survival Guide’.
- Helping to maintain an online presence for the ITP (e.g. updating the blog).
- Helping to prepare for the arrival of the participants, including assembling welcome packs.
- Supporting sessions run for participants, including booking rooms and collating presentations.
- Providing day to day support for the ITP participants during the programme.
- Attending offsite visits with the participants to other cultural institutions in London.
We would like volunteers on this programme to have
- An interest in working with people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Some experience of working in an office and be confident using Microsoft Office applications (i.e. Word, Excel).
- Some knowledge of London in order to be able to answer practical questions the ITP participants may have about living in London.
- Ideally, you will be able to commit to 1 day per week on an on-going basis, preferably for one year, plus as much time as you can give during the programme. The dates of the 2013 ITP are: 12 August to 21 September.