How to apply
Please complete the Volunteer enquiry form and send this and a copy of your CV to email@example.com quoting 'Volunteer Placement Opportunity – International Training Programme' as the subject line.
Closing date for applications: Friday 2 December 2016 at 17.00.
Volunteer Placement Opportunity – International Training Programme
We have an opportunity for a volunteer to support the International Training Programme team within the Museum. The International Training Programme (ITP) works to develop a sustainable global network of inspired museum and heritage professionals through sharing knowledge, skills and experiences.
Every summer up to 24 heritage professionals from all over the world spend six weeks in the UK gaining an insight into skills and practices in the UK museum sector. The Programme is tailored around group sessions, workshops, gallery visits, day trips and a UK partner programme placement.
The ITP is in its 11th year and each year our Programme and further engagement projects are photographed by the Museum’s Photography and Imaging team, culminating in over 4000 images. With a growing global network of over 200 fellows and programme partners, we are working on sustainability projects including the standardisation of how we display and document ITP images.
This opportunity is likely to include
- Supporting staff with creating a structure for the ITP team to follow when documenting images in the future.
- Working through images from the last 11 years to provide ‘who, where and when’ style captions
- Supporting staff with uploading and updating content on Odin, the British Museum’s image database.
What we would like from you
- Prior knowledge of excel and database software would be useful. However this is not essential and help and advice will be provided.
- You will have a high attention to detail.
- You are able to stay motivated throughout long and focused projects.
- An interest in photography.
- Ideally you will be able to commit 1 day per week over a period of 3 months, from January until April 2017.
What you can expect from us
- You will have an opportunity to gain valuable experience supporting the British Museum’s international projects, meeting a wide range of staff and fellows from several countries.
- Experience assisting a major documentation project, supporting the work of the British Museum’s Photography and Imaging team.
- The opportunity for additional projects such as the restructuring and updating of the ITP external contacts list.