How to apply
Please complete the Volunteer enquiry form
Closing date for applications:
Wednesday 11 December 2013
Monday 16 December: selection sessions
Monday 13 January (17.30–20.00): curatorial training
Hands On desk volunteers
We are looking for enthusiastic volunteers to join our The World of Money Hands On programme which provides visitors with a unique opportunity to handle genuine objects from the Museum’s collection. The desks are open daily, seven days a week, between 11.00 and 16.00. This is a great opportunity to learn about the Museum’s collection and to work with our visitors.
We are specifically looking for volunteers for Tuesdays and Wednesdays 13.30–16.00 and Fridays 11.00–13.30.
This volunteer role involves
- Encouraging visitors to handle objects and illustrating how to do this.
- Engaging visitors in discussions about the objects and cultures represented.
- Answering questions from the public.
- Undertaking a training programme.
What we would like from you
- You will have a keen interest in the Museum’s collection.
- You will enjoy talking to people and be enthusiastic about engaging our visitors with the Museum collection.
- You will have an interest in working with all museum audiences including families, adults and school groups.
- You will be able to envision committing to leading two sessions in a four week period for a minimum of eight months
What you can expect from us
We will provide you with training on the different ways to engage visitors at a Hands On desk and with the information about the objects. We do not ask that you have any prior knowledge of the collection.
How the programme is organised
- Volunteers train for one Hands On desk at a time.
- Once trained, volunteers will be entered onto on a fixed rota system where they undertake two sessions in a four-week period. A session is either 11.00–13.30 or 13.30–16.00.
- The rota is fixed for a minimum time of six months.
- In the event that volunteers cannot make their session we ask that they swap with a fellow volunteer in order to ensure that their session is covered.