Current partners hosting trainees in 2015-16 are:
- Beamish Museum, County Durham
- City of Oxford Museum, Oxford
- Colchester and Ipswich Museum Service, Ipswich
- Galleries of Justice, Nottingham
- Imperial War Museum North, Manchester
- National Museums Northern Ireland, Belfast
- National Museums Scotland, Edinburgh
- Port Sunlight Museum, Wirral
- The Infirmary and George Marshall Medical Museum, Worcester
- Worthing Museum and Art Gallery, Worthing
The Museum’s National Programmes team is pleased to announce a nationwide call for partner museums for Learning Museum, a Skills for the Future programme supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The programme will provide young persons from diverse backgrounds with high quality entry-level vocational training, champion best practice in museum collections and development, and create a strong professional network for sharing expertise amongst all parties.
About the programme
The core objectives of the Learning Museum programme are to:
- Nurture the next generation of the museum workforce, drawing in fresh perspectives from a diverse cohort of trainees, enabling them to harness the power of objects and engage under-represented audiences.
- Champion best practice in dynamic collections skills and showcase innovation in museum development across the UK, ensuring a sustainable future for the museum sector.
- Develop a proactive network of trainees, partner museums and the British Museum, leading to long term nationwide collaborative projects of all kinds.
How to apply
Learning Museum seeks partner museums across the UK who are committed to championing best practice and sharing expertise in current key areas of both workforce development and sector-wide skills shortages: promoting diversity, community engagement, youth employment, and vocational learning, alongside innovative skills in both collections management and museum development.
Learning Museum welcomes sector-wide applications from museums, galleries and heritage centres of all shapes and sizes. We are as keen to collaborate with new partners as we are to strengthen ties with existing ones.
Please send further inquiries and completed expressions of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 December 2015.