+44 (0)20 7323 8209
Roger was formerly a curator in the Department of Coins and Medals and was seconded to the Department for Culture, Media and Sport from 1994 to 2003. Roger is responsible for the Portable Antiquities Scheme, a project to record all archaeological objects found by the public in England and Wales, and for the Museum’s operation of the Treasure Act and in 2012 he was appointed Keeper of the Department of Prehistory and Europe.
The Portable Antiquities Scheme consists of 47 posts based in museums, universities and archaeological services all around England and Wales, with six based in the Museum. The objects are recorded on the Scheme’s online database available at https://finds.org.uk/ and is now the largest online archaeological resource of its kind and it is currently growing by some 90,000 objects each year. The Treasure side of the department’s work consists of administering finds reported as Treasure – in 2011 there were 970 of these – with a team of a Treasure Registrar and four Assistant Registrars.
- Hoards and hoarding in Britain
- The coinage of Gordian III
- A new edition of Roman Imperial Coinage IV.iii, Gordian III – Aemilian (AD 238-53)
External fellowships/ honorary positions/ membership of professional bodies
- Fellow of the MacDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, University of Cambridge
- Honorary Lecturer, Institute of Archaeology, University College London
- Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries (Member of Council), the British Numismatic Society (President) and the Royal Numismatic Society (Vice-President)
- Member of Institute of Field Archaeologists; Council for British Archaeology; Museums Association; Finds Research Group; Rescue; Society of Museum Archaeologists; All-Party Archaeology Group Advisory Group
‘Xavier Loriot and single finds of Roman gold coins’, Proceedings of Conference in memory of Xavier Loriot, forthcoming.
‘Hoarding in Iron Age and Roman Britain (2): the late Roman period’, BNJ 84 (2014), forthcoming.
`The gold coinage of Philip I and family’, Revue Numismatique 171, 2014, forthcoming.
‘Hoarding in Britain from the Bronze Age to the 20th century: an overview’ in J. Naylor (ed.), Hoarding and the Deposition of Metalwork from the Bronze Age to the 20th Century: a British Perspective, BAR forthcoming.
‘President’s Review of the Year’, BNJ 83, 2013, pp. 338-40.