Curator, and section head, Oceania
+44 (0)20 7323 8035
Gaye has responsibility for the curation, presentation, development and research of the Oceanic collections at the British Museum. In 2015, she curated the BP exhibition 'Indigenous Australia: enduring civilisation'.
Gaye has carried out fieldwork in various locations within Australia, including Central Australia, southeastern Australia and Tasmania. She was appointed curator and section head, Oceania in March 2013. Prior to taking up this position, she worked as a Member of the National Native Tribunal in Australia, mediating native title agreements and at Museum Victoria in Melbourne.
Gaye is a graduate of the Australian National University (history and anthropology), the University of Sydney (Museum Studies) and La Trobe University (Aboriginal Studies)
- 'The Relational Museum and Its Objects': a research project with colleagues at the Australian National University and the National Museum of Australia, funded by a Linkage Grant from the Australian Research Council
- Research and curation of the Australia collection
- Relocation of Oceanic collections to World Exhibition and Conservation Centre
- Recent projects
- The BP exhibition Indigenous Australia: enduring civilisation.
External fellowships/ honorary positions/ membership of professional bodies
- Member, Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Member, Museum Ethnographers Group
- Member, Pacific Arts Association
- Member, Royal Anthropological Institute
- Editorial Board, Australian Aboriginal Studies
- Editorial Board, Australian Historical Studies
- Sculthorpe, G. (Forthcoming) 'Engaging with Colonial Pasts and Presences', Muse, Journal of the Canadian Museums Association.
- Sculthorpe, G. (2015) with J. Carty, H. Morphy, M. Nugent, I. Coates, L. Bolton and J. Jones. The BP exhibition Indigenous Australia: enduring civilisation', British Museum Press.
- Sculthorpe, G. (2015) 'Jungunjinuke's Leangle. The history of an Aboriginal cricketer's war club'. MCC Magazine. Spring. Number 11.