Object identification

Staff are on hand to assist with the identification of prints, drawings and watercolours belonging to members of the public.  This service is available on Wednesdays 2-4pm by appointment in the Study room.

Please note we can only offer opinions on works on paper. If you have a painting you should take it either to the National Gallery (if foreign and before 1900), or the Tate (if British or after 1900). We can only consider Western works. Works on paper from non-Western countries should be taken to the Department of Asia, or to the Department of Africa, Oceania and the Americas.

We can only assess original, unframed work, not copies or photographs. We cannot provide valuations or certificates of authentication; if you require advice like this then please consult a dealer or auctioneer.