Terms and conditions for free image service
The British Museum has made every effort to identify copyright holders of objects and to obtain permission to include images on the website. Any omissions are unintentional and we will endeavour to rectify these as soon as possible, once we are notified.
You are reminded that if a work of art, sculpture or work of artistic craftsmanship is still in the artist’s copyright (where for example the artist is still alive or has died within the last 70 years) you will need to obtain the additional permission of the artist or his or her estate or successor in title in order to reproduce the work. We are not able to help you in tracing artists or their successors in title. Some may be registered with DACS (www.dacs.org.uk).
Applications for images supplied may be granted for the following permitted uses:
- for non-commercial research or private study
- for one-off classroom use in a school, college or university
- presentation or lecture without entrance fee, including PowerPoint
- for reproduction within a thesis document submitted by a student at an educational establishment (an electronic version of the research may be stored online as long as it is made available online at no cost to the end user), or
- reproduction within (but not on the cover of) an academic and scholarly (peer reviewed) book, journal article or booklet, provided that the publication is published by an organisation set as a charity, society, institution or trust existing exclusively for public benefit and that the publication has a print-run of no more than 4,000 copies. E-book rights are not covered. For these, please contact email@example.com.
In respect of all images supplied and licenses granted via this service:
- The images are licensed for a specific “one-time” use only
- All licences are nominative and may not be passed on for third-party use
- All images must be credited as follows: © Trustees of the British Museum
- Images may not be used on any electronic media, including websites, e-books or e-journals, unless specified otherwise in the permitted uses. If you require these rights, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reproduction sizes for images must not exceed A5 size
- No copyright or proprietary right is conveyed with the use of any image supplied by us
- Images may be cropped but not changed or manipulated in any way without written permission from the British Museum
- Images may not be used in any way which could be considered to be deceptive or which could reflect unfavourably upon the good name or reputation of the British Museum